Tuesday, April 1, 2008

A rice shortage??

I've been following the news about the rice shortage in the Philippines. For the past few days as i've watched the news, the problems are getting worst and the Philippine Goverment couldn't do much about it. They blame rising of fuel and fertilizer expenses as well as crops with diseases, pests and climate change. Adding to the latest Philippine headache, the prices of corn, meat, and cooking oil have also risen. The higher prices have already sparked protests in the Philippines, where a government official has asked the public to save leftover rice. Rice is the most important food commodity in the Philippines; a shortage would mean hundreds of thousands, if not millions of Filipinos going hungry. So, is there a rice shortage?? If there is, the people should be told frankly that there is a shortage. Many of us filipinos, can go without meat, pork, chicken, fish and vegetables. Poor people in the Philippines are content to have just steaming rice on which water and salt or patis have been sprinkled for their one or two meals of the day. But, its the worst kind of deprivation to have to go for days without rice...

Philippines is one of the world's biggest importer of rice. It is grown on a third of the Philippines' agricultural land and supports about half of the country’s 10 million agricultural workers. The neediest hit the hardest... If your family misses a meal, you really don't know what you can do.

3 comments:

Moms Life Blog said...

hello there, i have added u in my site http://bloggerminded.com as Charmaine in my blogroll, I hope u can add that link soon and let me know when I am added. Take care... have a great day!

Gene M. said...

sure x-links its my pleasure, just buzz me to let me know if u done adding my links then I'll add yours. see you arround! :-)

Joy said...

saw the news last nite or the other nite on TFC about rice shortage in PI-i personally think there is no rice shortage-the mill owner just hide it, it's been like this as far as I can remember before...maybe because it is summer time, and less rain thats why they are saving those bunchful sack of rice in their bodega till they have enough rice.